Wednesday, May 21, 2014

OPERATION CLEAN AND SIMPLIFY - One Room at a Time

My plan for the summer is to swamp out the house and reduce the amount of stuff.  I don't do well with too much around me for many reasons:
  • I don't like to clean it.  Seems simple enough but I LOATHE dusting.  If it isn't there or put away it won't need it.  I enjoy a clean house and want it to be easy and fast.  Too much stuff gets in the way.
  • Visual clutter makes me crazy.  I believe this is a by-product of my OCD.  When I walk through a room (or past one) I scan it.  If something is out of place or distracting, I don't like it.  I either have to fix it or continue thinking about it.  So, the answer is to get rid of it.  If something is left out by my son, I will immediately ask that he put it away.  This leads to him teasing me by saying, "If I don't put this away we will be on Hoarders."  To me it is just as bad.  Sick, I know, but there are worse problems to have.
  • A clean organized house gives me peace.  And we all know, I need some peace. 
Since April 1st, I have been on leave from my job.  Lots of time, right?  Not really.  I really did need to recover and became tired very quickly (I suffered a cardiac arrest on March 28th, was saved by my wonderful team at work, and am here to see many more days - smile).  I have done a lot of writing, creating and planning.  But now it is time to move.  I still have mobility and weight lifting limitations which will slow me down a bit.  Enough about that - back to the task.

What can I do first?  My least favorite but most necessary.  The files.  Meh.  Double Meh.  This is embarrassing, but here is a picture of the mess I need to tackle.  To make me feel better (and for you to know I am not a total slob) I am also including a picture of my sewing area.  Can you tell which I enjoy more?

Sewing Area
Filing Area















The plan for today:

I am going to set a time for one hour.  I can do that.  I will begin with the filing cabinet and remove anything I haven't used in a year.  If there are important documents (that I do not believe I will need) I will place them in a box, label it, and put it in my storage closet.

This should free up some space for newer files.  I long for the ability to instantly put my hand on something I need.  I do this now, but it requires plunging into closets, odd stashes and piles. To fix this, I must be diligent and get it done.

Could I procrastinate and do something else?  Well, yes.  I decided to write about it here instead of just jumping in!  But one hour.  Then I will get on with something more fun.  Then tomorrow I will do another hour. 

So right now I am setting a timer. 

Stay tuned...  I will post my progress (or lack of progress) and any tips or trials along the way. 

UPDATE!  Below are the pictures of the final project.  I continued to clean out the other areas of the office/sewing room and am so happy.  The storage boxes were on clearance at Joann's for $1.97 - 5.97.  We decided to get all different ones (since the selection was poor) and go with it.  Also, the picture of the paper cabinet (printing paper, envelopes, business cards, etc.).






No comments:

Post a Comment